Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Blessed is she

"And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what had been spoken to her by the Lord." ~ Luke 1:45

A teenager, most likely. Barely out of her youth. But in those days, a woman ready to be a bride. Undefiled. Innocent. Hopeful for a wonderful life with her soon-to-be husband. Meet Mary, the mother of my Lord. Oh how her life must have changed in that instant when she was face to face with Gabriel. When, by all earthly standards, her perfect life was rendered apart. Shattered shards of reality. An unraveled spool. What was she thinking? Did she vomit? Cry? Faint?

And Mary said, "Behold, the bondslave of the Lord; may it be done to me according to your word."

Calm. Confidant. Faithfully trusting the word of God. Denying her natural perspectives and wholeheartedly embracing the supernatural. A picture of beauty and grace. A true woman. A model for all women. But of course, she was the mother of my Lord.

And Mary said: My soul exalts the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my savior. For He has had regard for the humble state of his bondslave; for behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed. For the Mighty One has done great things for me; and holy is His name.

A prophetic voice. A worshipful heart. A heart that loved her son both as a mother and a daughter. I can't even imagine. For she was the blessed virgin, the mother of my Lord. And she was also a beloved daughter, a co-heir to the throne of God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment